Saturday, February 20, 2010

Getting Started

Today was a Great Day!

I left the house on time to join the Montclair YMCA and take the Beginning Spinning class at noon. When I got to the Y it was really busy - they were having an Open House. As I was filling out the paperwork to join, one of the volunteers said if I took a tour I would get 3 FREE(!) sessions with a Personal Trainer for joining. Woo Hoo!! There was also a drawing for a free one year membership (am keeping my fingers crossed).

I then headed down to the locker rooms to change and then head up 2 flights of stairs (my first workout) to learn how to Spin - and I made it through the class! My butt went numb and I was gently reminded of my physical idiosyncracies but, when I felt a twinge, I gave myself permission to ease up and reminded myself how great it was to be alive and able to START! What I found interesting was that each time I did that the twinges eased more and more. When the class was over the instructor was thrilled I had tried all the different techniques and I felt really great!

I took the tour as a 'cool down' and am glad I did because now I won't be wandering the halls trying to figure out where I am ;-) and I know where the banked running track (30 laps to a mile) is and some great rooms for tai chi or yoga or stretching.

As I left the Y I walked slowly... my body was just realizing what I had done and that it was hungry! A stop at Starbucks for a 'double tall light ice non-fat Caramel Machiatto' - my favorite (can you tell I drink quite a few?) and a biscotti kept me moving towards the car and home I went - to EAT!

and then... ah! take a nap - I deserved it on this, my first day 'out'.

... and then I woke up... and started wondering where my legs had gone... I didn't expect to be sore so soon. The "omg what am I getting into" thoughts have started to try to creep in - and are still trying - but I'm getting past them.

If it weren't so late, I'd start writing my deep thinkings about this entire process now, but I need my beauty sleep (and a glass of water).

So good night for now! Stay tuned, be well, and be Blessed by all that is Love and Light in the World.
Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment